view our practice areas


Many families dream of immigrating to the U.S. Unfortunately, due to cost and other circumstances, most families are unable to immigrate together. Often times, one person comes to the U.S. to work and save in hopes of bringing their spouse, children, parents or other family members here in the future.

At Cooper Law Firm, in Silver Spring, Maryland, our lawyers help clients sponsor their families and obtain family-based visas so they can reunite in the U.S.

Family-Based Visas

If you are a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident, you can sponsor family members for immigration visas, commonly called green cards. The U.S. provides streamlined paths for family members of citizens and permanent residents.

There are two categories of family-based visas: visas for immediate family members and "family preference" visas. The closer the family relationship, the faster the immigration process.

Immediate family includes spouses, unmarried children under 21 and parents of U.S. citizens who are over 21 years of age. Other family members, such as siblings, grandparents and grandchildren, and aunts and uncles, fall into the "family preference" category.

If you are engaged to a person in a foreign country, you can apply for a fiancé(e) visa. This visa will allow your future spouse to travel to the U.S. Once you are married, he or she can apply for a permanent residence visa.

Don't Try to Go It Alone

The immigration process can be overwhelming. Many people try to apply for family immigration visas on their own, only to have their petitions denied. Each day separated from your family is a day you'll never get back. Working with a knowledgeable immigration attorney gives your family the best chance of getting needed visas in the most time-efficient manner possible.

At Cooper Law Firm, we can help. We will handle every stage of the immigration process for you — from the initial petition through any hearings and appeals. Once your family is in the country, we can assist with citizenship.

To learn more about our services, call 301-637-8083 or 866-405-0124 or contact us online. Se habla español.