view our practice areas


America offers many promises: The opportunity to build a better life, jobs that allow you to support your family and the ability to pursue your dreams. The constitution also provides many legal protections. However, these rights and opportunities are only available to citizens.

At Cooper Law Firm, we help immigrants fulfill their lifelong dream of becoming U.S. citizens. Our attorneys will be by your side each step of the way. We begin by helping you achieve all of the requirements to apply for citizenship and our representation won't end until you take your Oath of Allegiance at a citizenship ceremony.

Located in Silver Spring, Maryland, we serve clients throughout the Washington, D.C., metro area.

The Naturalization Process

If you were not born in the U.S. you can become a United States citizen through the naturalization process. To be eligible for citizenship, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have come into the U.S. legally.
  • You must be a legal resident (hold a green card).
  • You must have lived in the U.S. for a certain period of time.
  • You must be over 18 years old.
  • You must be found to have good moral character.

In addition to these prerequisites, you must also speak, read and write in English and pass a citizenship test.

What if I entered the U.S. illegally? If you're an illegal alien, or undocumented immigrant, the first step to citizenship is getting a green card. We can help you with this step. Contact our office to schedule a consultation.

We Will Help You Every Step of the Way

Many of our staff immigrated to the United States from South America. They have been through the citizenship process and know firsthand how overwhelming it can seem. Our lawyers help make the process less scary.

We will sit down with you, explain all of the steps and walk you through each stage of the process. Our attorneys and staff are always here to answer your questions and explain the immigration system to you. We want to make sure you understand what is going on. That is why we offer Spanish language services and have translators available for other foreign languages.

For help with citizenship, call 301-637-8083 or 866-405-0124.